The Mission of Sandy Plains Presbyterian Church
Sandy Plains ARP Church is privileged to serve under the lordship of Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18). As a church under his rule we have specific obligations and objectives:
- We are constituted by the profession of faith once given by the Apostle Peter and welcome all who, in faith, share his profession (Matthew 16:15-18).
- We grow an are multiplied only by "walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 9:31).
- We are governed by elders: qualified men (1 Timothy 3:1-7) ordained by God for service in his church (Acts 14:23), who govern the church according to Scripture (Acts 6:1-7), keep watch over the souls of the flock (Hebrews 13:17), and pray for the sick (James 5:14).
- We are devoted to the teaching of Holy Scripture, the fellowship of believers, the administration of the sacraments, and prayer (Acts 2:42).
- We seek to worship our God in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24) and with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire (Hebrews 12:28-29).
- Our posture in worship is that of thanksgiving, allowing the word of Christ to dwell in us richly as we teach and admonish one another in all wisdom singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs (Colossians 3:16).
- We strive, both individually and corporately, to obey the laws of God (1 John 2:3-6) which he has given for our benefit (1 John 5:3) and his glory (Psalm 19) and summarized in his Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17).
- Our preaching and teaching focuses not on lofty speech or wisdom but on knowing Jesus Christ and him crucified (1 Corinthians 2:1-2).
- We seek to obey the individual and corporate calling to make disciples, to baptize, and to teach the observance of God's commandments among all people on earth (Matthew 28:19-20).